Sunday, September 20, 2009

Parts of me

As a graceful young girl skates her way toward winning the Olympic gold, I couldn’t help but watch with amazement. Every leap was perfectly choreographed and perfected as if she was floating in the air. I longed to be a perfect ice skater like Michelle Kwan. I wanted to float and glide gently around the ice as the crowd applauds at my lack of flaws and charisma. I was a shy, clumsy girl who fell more on the ice than actually skated.

My Dad was more knowledgeable about baseball then a priest is about God. He knew everything there was to know, especially about the New York Yankees. As a young child I would anxiously sit with my father as he his eyes watched the game. I would know what was happening based on what emotion he expressed until he taught me how to play. He comfortably sat with me and articulately explained every possible aspect of the game, from beginning to end. My knowledge got to the point where I knew all the players and when they had to bat. I could never know as much as my Dad did, he was like an open book while I was barely cracked.

My mother has always been a delicious cook. She puts unique ingredients together to make even more different meals. I was troubled about her impeccable timing. Whenever I got home from dance dinner would just be taken out of the sweating stove. I was never able to cook a delicious meal. My original ingredients would turn into disgusting looking meals. My mother tried her hardest to teach me wisdom about cooking, however I failed.

My cousin Louis Vitelli is amazing at playing any instrument; he has a distinct sound and an incredible hearing. He is able to find and hear unique sounds as a dog can. I would watch him play and play repeatedly, wishing I could play as he did. I could hear the sounds, not as well of course. I was able to learn the piano. I would constantly practice trying to perfect song after song. I think I inherited his perfectionist way to learn every note until I could play the song in my sleep.

I love musicals. I would watch them in awe when I was little. I don’t have a specific favorite but I hoped I could be in one. I would dance childishly in my room singing all the songs of Cats or Mamma Mia, pretending I was a beautiful cat or teenage girl about to get married. My friend Krista and I would put on shows for my family every day we hung out together. It is one of the greatest memories we have as children.

My cousin Danielle Vitelli has an excellence in putting together stunning outfits. For prom I asked her to help me pick out a beautiful dress. She told me to find one that is unique and resembles the essence of myself. I watched as she touched each dress gently as if it was a piece of art. She picked out a thousand dresses and each one was as unique as a fingerprint. Finally I found the perfect dress. Trying to put my own outfits together I try to remember to be different and be myself.

Dance is a gigantic part of my life. It has taught me determination, hard work and has given me a passion. It is everything that I am. As I hear the continuous music and put the different steps together I can’t help but close my eyes and feel like I am in a different place. I love the way my pirouettes glide on my feet and my jumps feel like I’m flying. I express myself through each different step and style that I am given.

I am a shell. There are never two of the same kinds; each shell has a different essence, shape and color. It is similar as every person is different; there is never two of the same person. Each person has their own strengths and weaknesses such as music, fashion or cooking. I am my own person.

No comments:

Post a Comment