Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Biology

In Latin class, there was one boy named Nishant who everyone was friends with. He was pretty nice and always got everyone laughing. In my school, race wasn’t that big of an issue, it seemed as if no one ever really even noticed. Since this was the case, when a little Indian boy came up in Slumdog Millionaire, it was awkward when John made a rude comment. I don’t think there was supposed to be any offense towards Nishant but he took it seriously and so did my teacher. We were then given a lecture on race where I believe my class first saw different races. It was a turning point for my Latin class, no one expected race to ever be an issue.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a common with us, we like to joke around not knowing who's gonna take it offensively and who's gonna laugh. But I think it was good you guys got to experience it first hand and had it acknowledged, some people are sensitive to certain remarks and others just laugh along.

    ReplyDelete